Taking the garbage cans out to the street. Walking upstairs to your bedroom. Playing with your kids or grandkids. Ankle stiffness and pain can make each of these normal daily tasks a real chore, and these symptoms are far more common than most people realize.
It’s estimated that up to 15% of adults are dealing with ankle pain at any given time. Often, pain in the ankle is combined with swelling and other symptoms. Such symptoms can stem from many different ankle problems. It’s important to understand what issue is causing your symptoms before attempting to address it with a custom orthotic.
Some common conditions that cause ankle pain and stiffness
Ankle pain and stiffness are symptoms that can be caused by many different conditions. However, certain ankle issues are more common than others. Some of the most common causes of these symptoms include:
- Ankle sprains — This injury occurs when the ankle ligaments are overstretched or torn. Medical research reports that more than 23,000 Americans seek medical care for an ankle sprain every day.
- Achilles tendinitis — The Achilles tendon connects the calf muscle to your heel bone. Achilles tendinitis occurs when this tendon is irritated or inflamed by overuse. It’s estimated that up to 50% of competitive runners will develop this condition during their lifetime.
- Plantar fasciitis — This condition is commonly linked to the foot. But it can also cause pain in the heel and ankle. It occurs when the plantar fascia becomes inflamed. One medical survey reveals that plantar fasciitis affects about 10% of the U.S. population.
Custom orthotics can benefit people with ankle problems
There are a variety of ways to address ankle stiffness and pain. One effective option that you might not have considered is a custom orthotic. These products are specifically designed to fit your feet, and they can offer benefits that include:
- Decreased pain
- Improved ankle alignment
- Reduced pressure on the ankle during walking
- Increased ankle stability
- Decreased risk of another ankle injury
Biocorrect offers high-quality custom orthotics
Looking for a custom orthotic that can help address your ankle pain and stiffness? Our orthotic specialists at Biocorrect are ready and willing to help you find it.
We’ll perform a comprehensive evaluation before we build your custom orthotic. This evaluation can include looking at your gait and observing your joint alignments. Our specialists may also ask you questions about your daily routine or your medical history. Additionally, they’ll take a foam impression of your foot. All this data will then be used to design and create the most effective orthotic for you.