Side effects can be negative, or they can actually turn out to be benefits. However, wearing generic, store-bought orthotics may not offer the side effects that you’re hoping for. Compared to custom orthotics, store-bought orthotics may provide you with far fewer benefits.
What are orthotics?
First of all, you might be surprised to learn that store-bought orthotics aren’t really orthotics at all. You see, orthotics are defined as special shoe or heel inserts that are customized to you. The only customization that you can typically do with a store-bought insert is trim it to a smaller size. On the other hand, custom orthotics are designed to fit your foot and needs specifically.
Some common side effects of wearing store-bought orthotics
- They quickly wear out — Store-bought orthotics aren’t designed to be very durable. This ensures that you must repeatedly buy new ones over and over.
- They may not correct instability — Since store-bought inserts aren’t customized to your feet, they may not correct the instability you have when you walk.
- They may not address foot problems — You might think that store-bought orthotics should help foot problems like overpronation and oversupination, yet they may not do much to address such problems.
Benefits of choosing to wear custom orthotics instead of store-bought orthotics
The individualized nature of custom orthotics means that wearing them can lead to positive side effects for you. Some of these benefits may include:
- Durability — Custom orthotics are made from durable materials, which means they often don’t need to be replaced as often as store-bought ones.
- Correcting instability — Heel cups are typically designed into custom orthotics to help improve your stability while walking.
- Addressing a wide range of foot problems — Since they’re designed specifically for you, custom orthotics can help address the specific foot issues you have. Some issues they can help address include:
Want to be wearing orthotics that offer positive side effects? Biocorrect can help
Wearing custom orthotics can offer many positive side effects for people with lower limb or foot issues. Our team at Biocorrect is ready to help you get personalized orthotics intended to address your specific needs.
We can do a comprehensive evaluation of your feet and your gait. We’ll also take a foam impression of your feet. Taking these steps allow us to construct orthotics that are fitted to your feet and your needs.