Having foot pain first thing in the morning is enough to make you want to just stay in bed. You are not alone in suffering from foot pain. Approximately 36% of people suffer from foot pain. Plantar fasciitis affects about 10% of the population, and 24% of athletes will suffer from Achilles tendonitis.
6 potential causes of foot pain
Feet are the bearers of the body’s weight, along with the knees and ankles. Foot pain can be more prevalent in the morning because it is a return of pressure on your feet after resting during sleep.
Some of the causes of foot pain in the mornings can be attributed to:
- Rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis — can cause foot stiffness and impact walking
- Ill-fitting shoes — can cause foot pain and other issues
Not all foot pain is an alarming concern; however, if you are experiencing unusual swelling in your feet, a change in skin color, or your skin is warm to the touch, you may have a torn ligament or tendon. If this is the case, you should see a medical professional.
Methods to help foot pain when you wake up
The good news is that you don’t have to continue to be plagued by foot pain when you wake up. There are several methods by which your foot pain can be relieved or even eliminated.
Pain relieving methods include:
- Stretching and strengthening exercises — These target the painful area to improve flexibility and relieve pain. This can be helpful if done before getting out of bed.
- Night splints — These hold the foot at a 90-degree angle which can help stretch the calf muscle and arch while you sleep.
- Orthotics — Custom orthotics can be worn in shoes to provide extra stability and cushioning to help relieve pain.
- Foot massage — This can help with circulation and soreness.
- Pain relieving creams or medication — Creams or other medications can help reduce inflammation and pain.
Biocorrect can help relieve your foot pain when waking up
If you are suffering from foot pain when you wake up and are ready for relief, our team at Biocorrect can help you. Our custom-designed orthotics help address issues caused by foot pain and help decrease any pain they incur.
Our certified pedorthists are ready to help by offering in-person or virtual consultations. To best assist you, we can provide at-home foam impression kits if you can’t come to see us in person. These impressions help us when constructing your custom orthotics.