Metatarsalgia is a common overuse injury in which the ball of the foot becomes inflamed. Excessive running and jumping, or the wearing of tight shoes, can irritate the tendons, ligaments, or nerves around the metatarsal bones, which make up the ball of the foot. When the area around the metatarsals are aggravated, pain from metatarsalgia can occur. Symptoms of metatarsalgia can include:
- Pain or tingling in your toes.
- A sharp or burning pain at the ball of the foot.
- Pain that worsens when moving the foot.
- A feeling of having a pebble in your shoe.
How can insoles relieve metatarsalgia pain?
Orthotic insoles can help relieve pressure and encourage the foot into proper alignment during daily activities. In the event that a patient develops a foot condition like metatarsalgia, research shows that insoles can aid in promoting healing. Here are ways in which metatarsalgia insoles can reduce foot pain:
- They can relieve pressure. Insoles and pads can vary in size and material. As a result, they can accommodate an individual’s metatarsals and ball of the foot according to the patient’s symptoms. This ensures that a patient’s foot is properly cushioned and protected from excessive pressure and overuse injuries. In fact, research shows that metatarsal pads can significantly relieve pressure from the ball of the foot.
- They can encourage proper alignment. An insole’s design may involve specific grooves and angles that encourage the foot to stay in place while moving. As a result, the ball of the foot can be stabilized in the shoe, reducing the risk of pain caused by trips or falls. Insoles can also help keep the rest of the body aligned while moving, including the knees, hips and back.
- They can increase mobility. Since insoles can help patients feel more confident while walking, they may be inclined to move more. Doing so can encourage blood flow to the toes and surrounding muscles, releasing tension and stiffness that contribute to pain in the ball of the foot.
Biocorrect can provide metatarsalgia insoles that fit your needs
If you’re suffering from metatarsalgia symptoms, insoles can give you a boost in your healing process. Our team of experts at Biocorrect can curate insoles that fit your needs and concerns. Contact us to learn more about the orthotics we offer or to set up an initial evaluation with one of our certified pedorthists.