It’s no secret that running puts a pounding on the feet. Runners use any number of tricks and techniques to keep foot injuries at bay, including stretching, strengthening exercises, form drills, ice baths, specialty running shoes and compression socks.
In addition to this, orthotic insoles for runners can provide support and comfort whether you’re running on the road, track or treadmill. Although some runners do find adequate support from the insoles that are often included with running shoes, there are specific benefits that orthotics can offer. This is especially true for people who are dealing with some of the common running-related injuries that can affect the lower body.
Lower body problems that affect runners and how insoles can help
Running injuries develop due to factors like poor posture, biomechanical issues, improper stretching and dehydration. These contributors, combined with the high-impact nature of running, can lead to a host of injuries, including:
- Achilles tendinitis — This important tendon helps connect the heel to the calf and can become easily sprained from the repetitive motion of running.
- Plantar fasciitis — Inflammation of a bundle of connective tissue on the bottom of the foot can result in stabbing heel pain that makes it difficult to run.
- Sprained ankle — Sprains can occur due to overextension or overuse of the many tendons that connect the foot to the rest of the leg.
- Runner's knee — Also known as patellofemoral syndrome, this condition is an injury to the front of the knee that often develops in runners.
- IT band syndrome — The iliotibial band runs along the outside of both legs and connects the upper leg to the knee. Tightness here can cause severe pain while running.
While insoles do not directly correct or cure these conditions, they can help improve alignment and mechanics in the feet. Since the feet are one end of the lower body’s biomechanical chain, proper support and alignment here can reduce undue strain on other parts, such as the ankles and knees. This in turn can be a crucial step in your injury prevention strategy.
Biocorrect offers custom insoles for runners
Biocorrect Custom Orthotics Lab offers a full line of insoles for runners, ranging from over-the-counter options to fully custom orthotics. Our products are designed by people with decades of experience in addressing many of the biomechanical issues affecting athletes, including runners. Our satisfied customers include everyone from occasional joggers to dedicated ultra marathoners.
If you’d like to learn more about our high quality orthotics, or to order your pair today, visit our online store.